Tuesday, August 4, 2015

                   
Pin It
   
   

Widgets

Operation Write Home Makeovers!


Operation Write Home Makeovers!

One of my summer vacation goals was to go through my stash of cards and send some to Operation Write Home. I learned that the operation would soon stop taking donated cards due to decreasing numbers of deployed soldiers. (The deadline was August 1, 2015.) So I started right away to make my cards acceptable for the most desired categories: miss you and love you. Makes sense, right?

Before I mailed them off to OWH, I snapped some photos, then thought it might be fun to go back through my blog and see how they compared to the originals. So first you'll see the group of cards I remade, then the original versions and date below them. Of course, going through my blog and old cards led to a number of revealing insights, see those at the bottom!


Group #1


Originals:

November 28, 2009

May 10, 2010
together





Group #2



Originals:

July 30, 2010


January 20, 2006



May 14, 2012



June 20, 2007




Group #3




Originals:

August 6, 2012





Group #4


Originals:

February 3, 2011



June 20, 2009





Top 10 Things I realized while searching through old blog posts for hours:

1. I remember making all of these cards, and it doesn't seem like very long ago!

2. I may be teased sometimes for my liberal application of adhesive, but dang, these cards are still stuck together! 

3. Related to #2, if you take care of your cards, they WILL hold up a long time!

4. The simplest cards are still my favorites.

5. Wow, I liked some big, fat ribbons and bows! *Oversized, padded envelopes required

6. Big pieces extending WAY beyond the card make them difficult to mail. See * on #3

7. I really should be working on the 10 hours of required online classes for back-to-school In Service, so I won't have to stay up until 3 am on a school night like I did last year.

8. The cost of mailing a standard size card has increased 8 cents, from 41 cents to 49 cents, during the history of my blog. (Okay, I didn't "realize" that one, I looked it up!)

9. My blog seriously needs an updated remodel! Who is someone you recommend, that's affordable for a poor teacher, of course?! :)

10. I need to make and post more cards!


Thanks for stopping by! Hugs & happy stamping!

2 comments:

~amy~ said...

Love this post...fun seeing the postal friendly makeovers.

So what I'm going to try to start doing on a regular basis is trimming my cards down to 4.0 x 5.25 or just do more skinny cards 3.5 x 5.5. I love to design cards with pieces that extend past the card base so this will definitely help with that. I tend to always add $0.21 postage for the bumpiness.

yes to posting more...you know I love your work and love it when you post!

nicole B said...

Fun seeing some of your old cards--and love the remakes!!
Three favorites i have had saved for a long while, as inspiration are USA, Together, and XOXO! :)
I am still SU only, and REALLY, REALLY miss inspiration from your SU days!
Best of luck as you begin another school year! I start back the end of this week!
Will miss the warm, lazy days of summer! :)